We just prepared this late summer salad as an accompaniment to grilled chicken. Combining watermelon and tomato works beautifully, especially with the sharp kick of red onion and the tang of good Greek feta. The result is a crisp, refreshing, late-summer salad that pairs great with a bottle of our Rip Rap Rose.
Serve this as a side dish to grilled meat.
This salad needs to be served soon after the dressing has been added; otherwise the watermelon and cucumber will lose their crisp texture.
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Good Luck Cellars red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Laconiko extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the salad
- 1 1/4 pounds cold seedless watermelon (rind removed), cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium very ripe summer tomato, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and then cut crosswise into half moons
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 3 ounces imported (Greek) feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon small mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon small basil leaves
For the dressing: Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, oil and salt in a small bowl, until emulsified.
For the salad: Spread the cubes of watermelon on a serving platter. Arrange the tomato wedges over the watermelon, taking care to distribute them evenly. Scatter the cucumber and red onion over the tomato. Top with the cubes of feta cheese. Sprinkle the pepper over the cheese, and then scatter the mint and basil leaves on top.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad; serve immediately.