- 1 pound whole wheat mezzi rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- A few grates fresh nutmeg
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach (10 ounces), defrosted and wrung dry in a kitchen towel
- 1 box frozen chopped artichokes (10 ounces), defrosted and wrung dry in a kitchen towel
- Ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese, plus additional for topping
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus additional for topping
- Seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
Place a large pot of water over high heat to cook for pasta. When the water boils, add salt and add pasta. Cook to al dente as the pasta will continue to cook while it bakes later. Drain the pasta and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, warm a medium saucepan over medium-low heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the butter. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until soft, 5-10 minutes.
Turn the heat up to medium-high and sprinkle the flour into the pan. Cook for about 1 minute, then whisk milk into the pan and bring up to a simmer. Add nutmeg, salt, pepper, spinach and artichoke to the sauce and simmer until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Add the cheeses to the sauce and stir until melted.
Toss the prepared sauce with the cooked pasta and transfer to a buttered casserole dish. Mix reserved cheeses and breadcrumbs with a drizzle of olive oil in a small bowl. Top the pasta with cheese and breadcrumb mixture and bake until the cheese has melted and the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.